Powered By Blogger

The principles that rule this blog

Principles that will govern my thoughts as I express them here (from my opening statement):


  • Freedom of the individual should be as total as possible, limited only by the fact that nobody should be free to cause physical injury to another, or to deprive another person of his freedoms.
  • Government is necessary primarily to provide those services that private enterprise won't, or won't at a price that people can afford.
  • No person has a right to have his own beliefs on religious, moral, political, or other controversial issues imposed on others who do not share those beliefs.

I believe that Abraham Lincoln expressed it very well:

“The legitimate object of government is to do for a community of people whatever they need to have done, but cannot do, at all, or cannot
so well do, for themselves — in their separate, individual capacities.”


Comments will be invited, and I will attempt to reply to any comments that are offered in a serious and non-abusive manner. However, I will not tolerate abusive or profane language (my reasoning is that this is my blog, and so I can control it; I wouldn't interfere with your using such language on your own!)

If anyone finds an opinion that I express to be contrary to my principles, they are welcome to point this out. I hope that I can make a rational case for my comments. Because, in fact, one label I'll happily accept is rationalist.

Saturday, May 12, 2012

Can Barack Obama make the American people forget the economy?

Yesterday's editorial in the Washington Examiner began:

What issues are most important to voters this presidential election year? If you said the economy, jobs and the budget deficit, congratulations, you are like the rest of America. But if you said gay marriage, birth control and pranks Mitt Romney pulled in high school in 1965, then you either already are, or may have a future in the liberal media.


Very apropos. Obviously, President Obama does not want people to focus on the economic issues that point out how totally unsuccessful, even after three years of trying, the Obama administration is at fixing what is wrong with the economy. He and his media allies would rather direct people's attention to Mitt Romney's nearly half-century-ago harassment of a seemingly-gay classmate, or a vacation he took where he strapped his dog's shelter on top of his car (also decades ago). They figure that they have to make people dislike Romney so much that they will forget about people's being out of work, or being forced to take a health plan poorly suited to their needs, or all the other things that Obama's administration has foisted on the American people. Hopefully he will not succeed. We need to make clear that Obamanomics is the issue in 2012, not something Mitt Romney did to a fellow high-schooler almost 50 years ago.

No comments: